[Dixielandjazz] Living musicians vs. past masters

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Fri Oct 27 11:12:52 PDT 2006

Hello,
Sometimes I read complaints that bands have been influenced by Chris Barber or the Dutch Swing College Band (DSCB) rather than by the Old Masters, and that their members hardly know the originals (and the originators).  I believe that that Cees has something to that effect.
On the other hand, Steve Barbone preaches listening to living musicians rather thanto the dead ones.
It seems to me that both approaches are valid.  If it's good music, and if one wants to play it - why not do so, rather than go and investigate old records?  And why is Lu Watters a more valid influence than Chris Barber - surely a more accomplished musician (listen to Chris holding his own with Sidney de Paris and Edmond Hall!).  And I have not heard any complaints about bands following in the footsteps of Turk or Bob Scobey.
I love the Old Masters (only today I listened to Bix, and during the past week - Armstrong, Earl Hines, Bechet and Ruby Braff with Vic Dickenson and Edmond Hall), but I also love the DSCB, and i have heard excellent traditional bands that profess being influenced by the latter.  I also love bands influenced by Jelly Roll or Louis, and even the post-war New-Orleans Revival (George Lewis, Kid Thomas, and the like).  Our world is big enough to accomodate them all.
So, by all means, listen to records of the great masters (at least in the case of Bix - eschew the CDs and go back to vinyl - I have yet to hear a CD taht does justice to his "silver" tone),- but also go out and support live jazz, and listen to recordings by bands you don't know.  Soetimes this leads to discovery of excellent musicians you would not hear otherwise!
Cheers, and keep swinging,
Marek