[Dixielandjazz] Laying off

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Oct 26 08:43:18 PDT 2006

What goes with clarinet players is endurance and speed over the register
break.  It just depends on how long you don't play.  While I played clarinet
I spent time practicing on cross fingerings and the register break.  Those
are two things that suffer when you don't play for awhile.  A player can get
away with biting rather than using the embouchure muscles but the tone
suffers and again endurance drops rather quickly.  I assume that the person
is playing nothing at all and is never practicing.  I find it hard to
believe that a person could be at the top of his form after a layoff of some
time.

Brass players lose range and endurance rapidly.

The instrument that this is most true about in the WW family is the Tenor
and Bari sax but even there endurance is the first thing to go.

I was in a repair shop one day and a guy brought in an Alto Sax that
obviously hadn't been played in years.  He explained that he had been asked
to join a community band and hadn't played for a long time and needed his
horn put into playing shape.  That guy pulled out the mouthpiece, put a reed
on it and played the most beautiful sound and some neat licks on it.  So it
can happen but -----

I find I have to play all the time or my fingers get log like and especially
on long gigs playing Soprano my lip will get irritated and be sore the next
day if I lay off much.  That really didn't happen while I was still playing
clarinet.
Larry
St. Louis