[Dixielandjazz] FW: Clarinets

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Oct 26 00:36:06 PDT 2006

......there have always been more than enough trombone players, but very few
clarinets.
Steve Pendleton

In general, Steve, I would say reed instrument players are the predominant
people we see floating around.  Good reason why, also.  A reed instrument
player can make musical sounds pretty much as soon as he starts on the horn,
making the beginning years more satisfying.  He/she can lay off the
instrument for years at a time, returning practically at will, and being
able to get through a gig.

A trombonist sounds like a sick elephant for at least the first year of
playing while he struggles with the flow of air/slide coordination,
therefore many give up.  If a trombonist lays off his horn for even a few
days, he won't be able to get through the next gig.

In Spain, at least, any instrument that you blow into is often referred to
by the general public as a saxofon.  I rest my case!

Jim