[Dixielandjazz] Great Pacific Jazz Band

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Oct 22 17:40:30 PDT 2006

How utterly astounding to find out that you, if you hurry, can still
get a copy of this CD from Ringwald because he found a few in his
closet.  Many years ago I heard a cut from it being played over the
sound system at a set during the Sacto Jubilee where Fulton Street was
setting up to perform, and when I asked the sound engineer about the
CD, I found out that it was Ringwald's group, and here he was appearing
within a few minutes.
	When I approached him, he just happened to have a couple copies with
him.   It immediately became a favorite of mine, becoming one the the
10 top CDs I would grab in case of a fire, and I have about 400.  What
made it a top favorite is that it is excellently recorded, with a
tremendous selection of "Louie" songs, and introduced me to the
fabulous trumpet player Zeke Zarchy, an incredible studio musician from
L.A., who, when he made the recording was 80 years old, and sounds like
a balls-to-the wall 30-40 year old player, with brilliant tone and
richness. . . .totally incredible.  Myself being 62, I still often
think about "The Zeke" many times as I practice, ruefully thinking
"There's hope!"  (yeah, and elephants fly).  It was a motivating CD
that showed me "It ain't over til it's over", so keep practicing.