[Dixielandjazz] "Radio"

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Sun Oct 15 15:54:58 PDT 2006

I first heard it performed by Banu Gibson on the "Oh, Jazz Me" album.  Liner
notes indicates the following information.

Radio, believe it or not, is a comparatively "new" song composed by Bob
Marcus and introduced to Banu by Jazz banjoist, Eddy Davis.  This recording
of "Radio" has served for the past several years as the theme song of WWIW,
New Orleans' popular nostalgia radio station.

One time when I saw Banu in concert, she mentioned that the song was
originally written for a TV special.  Who?  I can't remember at the moment,
but for some reason Rudy Vallee comes to mind.

The album has been reissued on CD and is now titled:  Vintage Banu

For a quick listen:  http://jazzbymail.com/Streams/so109_1.rm

I've got it on another album by the Buffalo Ridge Jazz Band on their "High
Society" album.  No writeup or liner notes with the CD.

Basic lyrics go:

Radio, remember radio?
We'd sit and close our eyes and use our imagination.
Comedy, mystery, fireside chat.
Together we sat listening nightly to our favorite shows.
Radio, why did you ever go?
Oh, won't you please come back and entertain us?
I long to turn that dial again and hear the past an' smile again.
Radio I miss you so.

I think I have somewhere a taped interview when she was interviewed by a
local dj.  If I can find it perhaps that song is also mentioned there.  Time
to do some digging into my tape collection......