[Dixielandjazz] Instrument sanitizing thread.

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Sat Oct 14 17:08:36 PDT 2006

Over the years, I've bought, sold, repaired and tried out lots of instruments
and have yet to catch so much as a sniffle from any of them. Maybe I have a
good immune
system, maybe not. Fears about contracting any disease from a used instrument
are probably overblown. I'm sure someone has a tale to tell that will refute
this.
The main reason for cleaning is simply to improve performance. I've fixed
lots of student horns that were just plugged up like a donut eating cop's
arteries. Small toys and chewing gum have also been found on occasion. The best horn
cleaning product is sold by Freree's and is called 'Slime Away.' It comes in
powder form and can be mixed as needed. Rubber gloves need to be worn and
prolonged soaking will damage jointing. It is unbelievable how much kuck can be
washed or brushed out of a new looking instrument. I would imagine that any
common lime, rust and mineral cleaner from the hardware store would do the same.
These products are not for woodwinds unless one is willing to risk damaging
wood, pads and cork. I have cleaned out saxes which were first disassembled for
overhaul. There is also a spray product called Sterisol which claims to
sanitize. It smells a bit like isopropyl alcohol. It is very useful for mouthpieces
and offers the paranoid some peace of mind.

A few years ago, I met a gentleman who had a very old marching sousaphone
type horn with a bell that faced over to the side. I can't remember what it was
called and perhaps someone knows what type of bass horn it was. He said it was
a Civil War era piece that he bought cheap from a pawn shop because it
wouldn't play. The valves were good and outwardly it seemed OK. He said that in
desperation he clamped a garden hose to the mouthpiece stem. Nothing came out. He
walked away from it and after an hour or so the water came gushing out carrying
with it more than a few decaying rat carcasses! Aside from regular valve
oiling he has never performed any other maintenance and it sure sounded good to
me.

Regards,

Gus Bloch