[Dixielandjazz] FW: The groove

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 11 07:40:40 PDT 2006

>that wonderful feeling sometimes called "the  groove".>>

>Great topic! I think the "groove" or "magic" or "heart"  also has much to
do with the state of mind of all the players  and also sometimes the energy
level of the audience....

I would go even further, Tom, by saying that the groove is only 100% there
when it involves the band & the audience.

Sometimes you can feel the groove within the band, but the audience isn't
completely there.
(The band is hotter than the audience.)

Other times, the audience is in the groove & the band is lacking. (The
audience is hotter than the band...and, even if you recognize the fact, it's
not something you really "make" happen.)

But, put the two together, and it is flying time! Those nights (or even
moments) can never be foreseen, or even explained.  You can say, "wow,
tonite is going to be sooo good", and nothing magic happens.  Or, you can
look forward to a dead nite, and it all takes off.  Unexplained!

Jim