[Dixielandjazz] Bass Keyboard

Rocky Ball bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 09:17:08 PDT 2006

Ed: If you want to kick pedals there are a number of MIDI pedals on
the market. If you want to play bass on a keyboard I can recommend a
controller that is fully functional, inexpensive and lightweight...
It's made by EMU and is called the X49. I paid about $125.00 for it
on sale. It is a CONTROLLER... makes no sounds on its on, but can be
connected to any MIDI equipped tone generator (like the Alesis model
that Scott mentioned) and it has SENSITIVITY (the harder you play it
the more ooomph to the sound!) That's what you want to make it sound
REAL... a difference in sound between hard, medium, and soft playing.
The X49 delivers this at a relatively cheap price.

Whether your INPUT device is pedals or keyboard, today's MIDI
technology allows you to keep the INPUT device and the SOUND-MAKING
device separate, so you can change either as technology improves
without having to replace both at the same time. I doubt you will
find anything NEW that has all of the pieces in one package... and
you don't want to be tied to that anyway. Any tone generator can plug
right onto your amp. Any controller can plug right into any tone
generator with a 5-PIN MIDI plug. Hope this helps,

~Rocky Ball
Atlanta