[Dixielandjazz] Piano tuning - playing in tune

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 6 09:58:48 PDT 2006

I'm not sure that this is the reason but when I was in college one of the
profs said that the Russians tuned low because the cold temperatures  would
ruin a piano or other keyboard if the strings were pulled up tight to A 440
a lot like a skin head on a drum if left tensioned when the weather changes.
The opposite could be true in a hot country.  I really don't know It could
be the equivalent to a musical urban legend.

I do know that many concert band directors like to tune sharp. This gets
difficult sometimes because young clarinet players just can't play in tune
much less sharp.

Personally I hear a bit sharp and like instruments tuned up just a bit.

There is another thing and that's guitar tuning - Many guitar players play
out of tune because they don't pull the B string slightly sharp.  This
happens when tuning with a tuner which has no soul and is mechanical.
Actually to play a guitar in tune you would have to retune for each key and
each fret range that you are using.  Manufacturers try to compensate with
different gimmicks on the bridge to adjust strings and fudge the tuning.

Bands and musicians often play the seventh tone of a scale flat.  If you
don't believe me listen to a high school band play any scale.

Band directors make the mistake of teaching students to play and tune at the
top of the pitch.  Correct tuning should be sharp and then the lip relaxed
to play in tune.  That in effect creates a trombone like tuning range where
the musician can play sharp or flat as required to temper his scale and to
take in consideration of naturally occurring out of tune notes.  This is
especially true of clarinet players who are taught to lock on to the
mouthpiece and play at the top of the tone.  This causes biting, non
flexibility and does not give the reed a good surface to vibrate against.
It also causes clarinet players to thrust the tongue forward reducing the
oral cavity and destroying the sound box effect of the mouth. Have you ever
wondered why some clarinet players have a thin sound and others have a rich
full sound.  That's why.  A clarinet player has to undergo serious re
training and re evaluation of his embouchure if he is going to play sax or
in a lot of cases clarinet well.  Most simply just can't do it.

One time a band leader sarcastically said I played clarinet like a sax
player.  This was because I used vibrato and other things sax players often
do.  Actually I think of that as a complement.  I told him back that I would
rather be a clarinet player that sounded like a sax player than a sax player
that sounded like a clarinet player.

By tuning slightly sharp I am always able to play in a relaxed manner, play
in tune  and my chops don't get tired.  The only caveat is that you have to
listen, listen, listen.  Remember you have just turned your sax or clarinet
into a flexible instrument like a trombone capable of actually playing in
tune.

Brass players are a slightly different breed with different problems.
Usually they are straining to play the higher notes and they have no
flexibility at all.  The entire emphasis is on making the lip tight often by
applying pressure and this becomes an obsession.  Playing a brass in tune is
easier if it's a little sharp which allows the player to back off a little.
This simply doesn't work if the player doesn't have the muscle control to
pull it off.  Again why do some trumpet players have a great sound and play
in tune and others don't.  It's the ability to back off a little.  I think
good players do this instinctually and it becomes so ingrained that they
really don't know they are doing it.

I worked with a singer a couple of weeks back and she was pretty good.  She
worked the crowd and did all the right things but she sang very sharp on
everything.  Last year I heard a trombone player with the AF Academy band
who technically was incredible but he played real sharp on everything.  He
was so good at everything, but that, so I think he must hear sharp.

A lot of musicians just can't handle the fingering difficulties that extreme
keys bring.  On the clarinet anything past the key of A requires that the
player know the cross fingerings to play smoothly.  Sharp keys on the sax
become easier if you use the articulated keys.

Reading the keys with multiple sharps and flats (like 7) is more a problem
than playing them.  I do the Theme from Titanic intro (tin whistle flute
part) on tenor in 7 sharps and the first time I did it there were mistakes.
Other tunes that do this are Jump Jive and Wail out chorus and Bobby Darin's
Mack the Knife which goes all over the place.   Shows are another place
where wild keys are used.  Sometimes I wonder about scores that will move
into six or seven sharps or flats.  Since singers audition for these things
I would think that slipping the key up or down a half step would make no
difference since you would simply take the person that could sing it in the
up or down key.

I wonder also how many players use hand signals for keys when modulating in
a tune --- one finger up = 1 sharp, two fingers down two flats etc?  I
really don't but Steve Lilly with the St. Louis Stompers uses it all the
time and I think it's very cool when I play with him.
Larry
St. Louis