[Dixielandjazz] Popular Fun For Fall At The Farm

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 5 22:19:43 PDT 2006

>> From Concord, MA. Anybody up there in Boston know who the Ancient Mariner
Dixieland Band is?

Dear Steve,
I thought everyone up that way would know this band.

The Ancient Marines Dixieland Band is typically comprised of eight
musicians, although substitutes may be used on occasion.
Marilyn Kewin........Bass fiddle
Jake Kerwin...........Piano
Norm Nichols........Violin, Banjo
Tom Ruggles...........Banjo, Vocal
Doug Carmichael...Clarinet
Ned Schuller..........Drums
Tom McAllister......Trombone
John Kendrick........Cornet
Mort Speck............Clarinet
Bob MacInnis.........Coronet
Bob Cronin............Drums

The Ancient Mariners started when two (ancient) professors in MIT¹s Ocean
Engineering Department (mariners) were asked to play clarinet/piano duets
for a special MIT event. They were soon joined by the aluminum bass fiddle
wielding wife of the piano player (definitely not ancient).

The group has grown in recent years to a full-strength Dixieland band which
specializes in the happy sounds of traditional jazz and popular music from
the period from the 1890¹s to the 1920¹s.

The band members have varied professional careers, ranging in acceptability
from medicine, education, engineering, recycling, farming, display
advertising, and even aluminum. But our common bond is a life-long love of
music, and our joy is bringing this sometimes forgotten traditional jazz to
a wide range of audiences.

They even have a CD. "Paddlin' Madelin' Home".
1.    Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me (1919)
2.    Daddy Do (1924)
3.    Paddlin' Madelin' Home (1925)
4.    Memphis Blues (1912)
5.    Everybody Loves My Baby (1924)