[Dixielandjazz] The mind of Scriabin

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:30:16 PDT 2006

Hello music lovers,

Edgerton wrote:

>Just to further muddy the waters, what was the pitch standard used in
>Scriabin's time and what was Rimsky-Korsakov's?  I bet it wasn't A=440
>in both cases.

They had an "International Tuning Fork" stored in a guarded vault in Paris
(France). Only authorized oboe players were allowed in to tune their oboes
to the correct pitch (A) so that they could then be sure the symphony would
be tuning up to the universal standard.

Scriabin, or his alternate, Rimsky-Korsakov, would make periodic visits to
make sure the International Tuning Fork evoked the correct visual color
(green if it was Scriabin or more rosy if Korsakov popped in).

If the oboe player couldn't conveniently get to Paris and back he would
phone either Scriabin or Rimsky except that the phone wasn't in general use
until about 1920 and by that time both composers had gone on to that
orchestra pit in the sky.

For an interesting insight into the mind of Scriabin, here is a bit from his
biography which I have gleaned from the vast library out there in google
land:

----> commence clip

"Scriabin considered his last music to be fragments of an immense piece to
be called Mysterium. This seven-day-long megawork would be performed at the
foothills of the Himalayas in India, after which the world would dissolve in
bliss.

Bells suspended from clouds would summon spectators. Sunrises would be
preludes and sunsets codas. Flames would erupt in shafts of light and sheets
of fire. Perfumes appropriate to the music would change and pervade the air.

At the time of his death, Scriabin left 72 orchestral-size pages of sketches
for a preliminary work Prefatory Action, intended to "prepare" the world for
the apocalyptic ultimate masterpiece."

-----> conclude clip

Respectfully submitted,

Bil "Hey, I don't make this stuff up" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com