[Dixielandjazz] 7 Flats

jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com
Thu Oct 5 13:13:56 PDT 2006

Bruce Stangeland wrote:

> > Abm is the relative minor of C#major,
> > and shares it's 7 flats.

Paul Edgerton replied:

> Maybe that's how they do it in Berserkeley (vbg),
> but in the rest of the world, I'm pretty sure that
> Abm (G#m, actually) is the relative minor of B
> major.  B major has 5 sharps and so does G# minor.

I'm guessing that Bruce's statement was a typo, and that he meant to say that Ab Minor is the relative minor of Cb Minor, and that these keys both have seven flats.

And of course, Paul is correct that Ab Minor and G# Minor are enharmonic with one another -- one is written in 7 flats and the other in 5 sharps.  Similarly, Cb Major and B Major are enharmonic with one another -- and again, the former is written in 7 flats while the latter has 5 sharps.

In the same vein, Gb Major/Eb Minor (six flats) are enharmonic with F# Major/D# Minor (six sharps).  Db Major/Bb Minor (five flats) are enharmonic with C# Major/A# Minor (seven sharps).

Things certainly do get complex in that arc of the circle of fifths.....

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA