[Dixielandjazz] What a difference a key makes.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 5 09:11:29 PDT 2006

>>>I really can't explain it to you other than it's just a different tonal
color.<<<

Though it may not be strict music theory, I think you're onto something here.  In my college choral days, I couldn't help but notice that when going back and forth between these #/flat same notes, there did seem to be a slight something different about them, seemingly depending on which direction you arrived at them from.  If you went to it from below or from above, seemed to shade the, at least mental, tonal coloring it received.  But of course we're also talking about how it would fit into the overall picture, tonally:  going to one note in a minor piece definitely has a different, overall coloring, or feel, if you will, from the same note in a major piece.

Just a non-professsional musical perspective,

--
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org