[Dixielandjazz] What a difference a key makes.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 16:54:01 PDT 2006

Bill Gunter has said (polite snips)

> Look . . . either the sharp keys have a different "tone color" or they don't
> regardless of ax.

> A symphony orchestra playing compositon in F (1 flat) should have a
> different "tone color" than it does when playing in G (1 sharp)!

> My question . . . "Does this effect really exist and how can you prove it to
> me?

and then . . .

> There are those composers like Scriabin and Tschaikowski who have spoken
> about this in the area of orchestration. They note that each key has its own
> nature and color and has an impact on the particular key in which they will
> score the opus.

> That implies that Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C#minor would somehow have a
> distinct and essential difference than the same composition played
> transposed down a half step and that difference does not involve pitch. What
> is that difference?

and then . . .

> I am a classically trained musician with a
> deep understanding and appreciation for the music of our western culture
> from Guido d'Arezzo, through the 12 tone scales of Arnold Schoenberg on down
> to the atonalities of Karlheinz Stockhausen and Pierre Boulez.

He is therefore quite able to answer his own question of does the effect
exist, but . . . but then he asked "How can you prove it to me?

Since he is pulling our chains, the best retort is "Bill, If you have to
ask, you'll never know." With all that training, musical intelligence and
normal ears, you should be able to hear the difference for yourself.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone