[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Re: Keys?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 10:50:06 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Pianoman Dan Spink writes:

>. . . some keys have a slightly difference tone or resonance than  others.
>All
>piano players know that the sharp keys are more brilliant, the  key of C is
>incredibly dull, whereas the key of Db . . . is  magnificently rich
>harmonically.

Db - C#,  whatever - no difference on the piano. All flat keys (Ab, Bb, Db,
Eb, etc.) are the same as the sharp keys (G#, B, C#, D#, etc.).

But no matter, Dan said something that I can't grasp - "key of Db . . . is
magnificently rich harmonically" - this begs my question - "What is the
difference in a arpeggio played on the piano in the key of C as opposed to
the identical arpeggio played on the piano in the key of Db ?" In what way
is it more "magnificently rich harmonically?"

Perhaps it's like looking at a Jackson Pollock painting. Some see a rich
tapestry of color and pattern which inspires an emotional response. Others
merely see dribbled squiggly lines and splats which look random and inspire
nothing more than "Huh?"

Or maybe it's like listening to John Cage's 4'33" - some hear beauty (or
feel some emotional response) while other hear squat!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "it's a wonderful world, full of strange and amazing things" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - Edgerton, Williams - can you guys weigh in on this?