[Dixielandjazz] Incredible Guitar players

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 06:35:06 PDT 2006

Hi Ginny:

Good question to which I do not know the answer. That is why I continue to
explore those musical sounds of the current generation. DF, in reading about
their musical philosophy, wants to do "their" musical thing. They are
virtuosos who improvise over a rhythmic beat. And to top it off, communicate
successfully with many fans all over the world. Perhaps it is a generational
thing, but much too easy for us old folks to pass it off as junk. Especially
when we haven't really listened to the music, or the logic of the younger
generations, or its relationship to the views of the young people during the
jazz years of the 1920s. To me, it is very much like what happened during
the development of jazz, and musically, closely related.

Funny thing, we have become all that we disliked about the "old" folks who
screamed bloody murder at the degenerate music of jazz 80 years ago. Same
old S***, different day is all.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone