[Dixielandjazz] tubing

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 4 01:24:38 PDT 2006

Someone mentioned the length of tubing being used when one type or the other
type of fingering is used on the trumpet having an effect on the "color" of
a note.  You can really hear it on the trombone.  Try high Bb orC in first
position or in the alternate position of 3rd (3rd being about 6 inches out
on the slide).  Try Bb (top of staff) in 1st position compared to its
alternate position of 5th.  F in 1st vs F in 6th.

Tuning can be adjusted with the positioning of the slide, nevertheless, you
will hear a duller/darker sound in 3rd or 5th position.  Once again, though,
I don't know if the listener can hear that as easily as the horn honker can.

It's even logical:  there must be 15 inches of slide between 1st & 5th (no,
I haven't measure it, I'm just throwing my hand out there & looking at it!),
and that's down, and back = 30 inches.  Bound to have an effect on the sound
(timbre) of the note.

Jim