[Dixielandjazz] Keys?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:12:56 PDT 2006

Hi Dan and all,

You wrote (regarding "tone color"):

>In short, yes it's possible for some people to have coloristic
>and other kinds of impressions of different keys.  I myself hear the
>key of Db Major as a very 'dark' key, but the key of D Major as a
>moderately 'bright' key . . .

Is it your feeling that you can distinguish between hearing a melody in Db
and a melody in D because the Db melody will sound 'darker' to your ears?

Suppose one were to play a happy bouncy melody in Db and a sad melancholy
song in D. Would the happy song sound 'darker' than the melancholy song?

When you say things like "dark" and "bright" to a person like me who has no
concept of what that means in terms of "tone color" there is bound to be
some confusion. I suppose one could say that a french horn has a "darker"
tone than a "bright" cornet. But I'd be at a loss to define what was
actually meant by these terms.

Here is what my dictionary say about "timbre":

1. the quality of a speech sound that comes from its tone rather than its
pitch or volume

2. the quality or color of tone of an instrument or voice.  Also called tone
color

Now I interpret that to mean that different instruments tend to have
different tones (a sax, for example, compared to a piano) even when playing
the same pitch and volume.

I don't interpret it to mean that different KEYS have different tones.  If I
hear a bright song in the key of x and it is suddenly transposed into the
key of y on the same instrument I'll notice a difference in pitch but I
won't hear a different "tone."

Your referal to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia was interesting but
not compellingly conclusive. For example, the cited text contains this
sentence: "To date, no research has demonstrated a consistent assocition
between synesthetic experience and other neurological or psychiatric
conditions . . . "

It also states that this phenomenon occurs in roughly a mere four percent of
the population - far from the norm. In fact, one may deduce that this is the
function of an aberrant brain.

But finally, I'm not saying the phenomenon doesn't exist, I'm merely saying
I can't experience it. That, of course, doesn't mean that nobody else can
either. Obviously there are those who feel they do and I would just like a
representative person from that group explain in terms I can comprehend what
is actually going on here.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "tone deaf" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com