[Dixielandjazz] Keys?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 3 22:16:14 PDT 2006

Bill and DJML--
     The perception of different keys is complicated.  'Synesthesia'
is the word commonly used to describe some persons' reactions to
different keys (see 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia').
Scriabin ascribed different colors to keys.
     In regard to playing in different keys in a band, you have to
think of the fact that most wind-instruments don't play the same
exact pitches in a scale.  They certainly don't (and can't) play the
equal temperment of a piano, but the F major scale on a trumpet
(notated in the key of G) will contain intervals that are different
from those of the E major scale on the same horn.  Why?  Because of
the way instruments are built, for one, and because of the
psychoacoustic realities of how humans hear, is another.  Also,
different combinations of valves depressed use different tubings on a
trumpet, changing the tone-color of a note.  A concert 'C' (an octave
above middle 'C') on a trumpet (written 'D') can be played with the
first valve depressed, but it's a little flat that way, so valves 1
and 3 can be depressed to raise the pitch; however, doing so causes
different tubing to be used, slightly changing the tone-color because
different segments of the horn are vibrating.
     In short, yes it's possible for some people to have coloristic
and other kinds of impressions of different keys.  I myself hear the
key of Db Major as a very 'dark' key, but the key of D Major as a
moderately 'bright' key, but mostly when i'm actually playing the
music.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
** "Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from
**  from the foolish their lack of understanding." -- Ambrose Bierce