[Dixielandjazz] Stardust

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 14:21:27 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone posted:

  Message: 8
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:59:47 -0400
From: Steve Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Star Dust
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

dingle at baldwin-net.com wrote (polite snip)

>> Bill Haesler wrote: (also politely snipped)

>> Was Carmichael's key D major?  I thought it
>> was D-flat major, and I have seen it written it in Db or C, but
never
>> in D.

> Ingle:
> I believe it was in D-flat -- at least many of the brassplayers I
know
> play it in that key. C is more common.

I'm with you Don and believe the correct key was Db. Some bands may
play it
in C but I think probably because it is easier for them in C. My pocket
booklet which cross-references 2000 American Songbook tunes, alpha, by
year,
by Broadway show, by composer, by key, by bands making it famous, says
Db.

Sadly that book is no longer in print. It is invaluable when hunting
for
tunes to play at a trio or quartet gig. No charts or anything, just
tune
names. Luckily my bass and guitar guys know at least 2/3rds of them.

Cheers,
Steve "

  I agree. I have heard Lou McGarity play it in F, and I have Nat Cole singing
  it in G, very beautifully and it sounds great on trombone in G.  The relatively difficult verse is easier in G.
  http://myspace.com/freemarty