[Dixielandjazz] Hoagie's Stardust

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Oct 1 21:54:58 PDT 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>>Did Hoagie write the verse to Stardust?   The way I heard it,  the song
>>originally had no verse, but Bix Beiderbeck added it for him. So, what can you
>>folks out there tell me.  The verse itself is so gorgeous, it sounds like
>>something that Bix would write, so I've accepted that story.  Is it something
>>that I've taken hook line and sinker?   I have wanted to know for years<.
>>

>Dear Bill,
>Very long.
>We discussed this one in July last year, under the subject heading
>'Verses' then 'Stardust'. Fred Spencer kicked off the 'verses' theme to be
>followed by Charlie Hull with: "I read somewhere that Don Redmond
>[he meant Redman] composed the verse to Star Dust.  Is that true?"
>
>To which Hal Vickery replied:
>"I'm playing the 10/31/27 Gennett recording by Hoagy Carmichael and his Pals
>right now.  It starts with the verse.  AFAIK this is the first recording of
>the song.  I don't see any way that Redman could have written it. I've
>always heard that the verse was inspired by a lick by Bix."
>
>Charlie countered with: "I believe it was in James Lincoln Collier's "Louis
>Armstrong" that I read about Hoagy and some musicians being at a recording
>session and Redmond commenting that the song, allegedly theretofore without
>a verse, needed one; and that he commenced to write the one credited to
>Carmichael.  I hope that someone will disprove that and Hoagy can get full
>credit. Actually I don't care much one way or the other.  I just love to
>play it."
>
>Hal then returned with: "I found an excerpt from the book "Stardust
>Melodies" that purports to refute the Redman story on the Random House web
>site.  The book is a "biography of twelve of America's most popular songs"
>and was written by Will Friedwald. Here are the relevant paragraphs: "It has
>also been widely reported (by Alec Wilder, among others) that the verse was
>added only later, at about the time Mitchell Parish wrote his famous lyric.
>But the verse is there on the 1927 premiere recording by Hoagy and pals.
>Just listen: the disc opens with a guitar intro (the instrument was just
>beginning to be widely heard in the new age of electrical recordings; banjos
>had dominated in the acoustic era) before the trumpet takes the now famous
>verse, which can be heard on virtually all the early 'jazz' versions of the
>tune. The apocryphal story of the verse being written later on was to work
>against Carmichael: for years a rumor persisted that the verse wasn't
>written by Carmichael at all but by Don Redman, a composer and arranger who
>worked for Carmichael's publisher, Irving Mills. As with the persistent
>gossip that Fats Waller actually wrote some of Jimmy McHugh's songs, there's
>nothing to back it up. "Although Redman didn't write the verse, that
>pioneering jazz orchestrator (also saxophonist, bandleader, and novelty
> [...]
Wow -- Bill. Quite a summary.
I can  add this as being what my father, Red Ingle, told me about being
around Hoagy when workng with the Goldkette bands (several units as well
as a stint with the Victor Band), and that he had heard Hoagy playing
the song, and also working on a verse for it.  That it might have been
from a lick of Bix's, that is a strong possibility. Certainly he used
Bixian inspiration  some years later when he wrote  Skylark. It was
often  called by musicains "Bix Licks." The triplet figures a sure give
away.
Hoagy joined dad, Andy Secrest and some other Detroit Goldkette players
to go with Harold Stokes  Goldkette unit to open  the new PlayMore
Ballroom in Kansas City, owned by Goldkette and his partner Charlie
Horvath. This was later after the breakup of the Victor band in 1927.
Hoagy also wrote about coming back from Florida to visit the Indiana
frat house where the Goldkette Band,  playing adate at the college, was
at a party aferwards. Hoagy played (accoring to dad,) what was to be
named Stardust. Hoagy recounts this visit in his book "Stardust Road" as
well as noting Red's presence  there doing some funny song schtick.
I offer this as hearsay -- I heard it from dad, who was there to hear it
happen. That, for me, was a reliable source. Dad would have been 100
this coming Nov. 7, so history is getting to be more ancient every click
of the clock.
Agan, Bill, what a great summary.
Oh -- by the way, since Riverboat Shuffle was mentioned, Hoagy called it
Free Wheeling before the publisher entered the  picture and added lyric
and title.
Don Ingle