[Dixielandjazz] RADIO - Drum and Tuba

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Nov 29 10:33:41 PST 2006

Here is the "Radio" that Ginny sent to me.  Check out two things in the recording: first the bass drum.  You can hear it and it is a fill instrument that enhances the tuba.  This is he way that I believe that the bass drum was used but because of the recording limitations at the time can't be heard on the old recordings.  I think these guys have captured the sound and I like it.  I think that the bass drum gives the tune that energy that I have been talking about not that it's the only factor.  We talked about energy and this tune has it.  The bass drum definitely has a boom but I don't hear it ringing.  The way they handled that was the beater was always choked into the drum because they played on their toes not back on their heels like most modern drummers operate their pedals.  In this way they could control the resonance of the bass drum.  Today the heads are tensioned a lot tighter and the drums are smaller with dampers to remove all the ring so you get a pop.   They did user dampers but they were more like a hand on the drum and were a round felt, spring operated device and weren't as efficient.  Today the bass is really more of an accent instrument than as a bass instrument. The heads were also skin which is a bit different too but are incredibly expensive today compared to plastic.   Skin heads didn't have the ring associated with the plastic ones.  Second the Tuba is a whole lot busier than usual and is filling more.

Notice that the cymbal is being played in the old style that is with two hands and is choked most of the time but is used as a ride at least on some of the choruses.  I don't believe that's a hi hat but might be.  I think it might be about a 12 inch medium heavy and he also may be using a small splash.  I have another recording that better captures the sound that I remember.

I also liked the Soprano / Trombone harmony duet / riffs in the background.

Comments? What do you hear?

http://www.creolejazz.com/listening