[Dixielandjazz] Anita O'Day

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Tue Nov 28 02:15:37 PST 2006

Hi, Listmates,

Another O'Day item, only this time not oriented towards her sexual hipness.  When I was a kid of 12 or so, I saw the Krupa Band at the Oriental theater in Chicago.  This was in 1942.  I had the exquisite pleasure of seeing Anita and Roy Eldridge perform.  Of course, they did "Knock Me a Kiss" and "Let Me Off Uptown".  The band was, as you might have guessed, nothing but wonderful.

The big hit of the show, however, was a wonderful rendition of "That's What You Think", which had already achieved some notice via radio, and the house erupted in applause once they recognized the tune.  Anita was unquestionably a major jazz influence, and that tune was, for the time, the ultimate in hip.

Does anyone recognize the stylistic influence she had on the early Doris Day, and the early June Christy?

Regards,
Harold Smith