[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Cruise ship gigs for Bands :))

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Nov 24 21:29:58 PST 2006

The problem Ginny is the almost age old one - If they can fake they can't
read and vice versa.  People who can do both well are generally in demand
and somewhat rare.  Most musicians fall on one side of the fence or the
other.  Personally I feel a whole lot stronger on improv than I am in
reading and as I get older reading becomes even more problematical.

Many of the young whiz kids are dynamite readers but take the paper away and
you might as well have twisted a key off their horns.  Most of their improv
comes right out of a book and just doesn't flow because they don't learn how
to make it flow.  Doing arrangements on the fly is also becoming a lost art.
I doubt seriously if they will find a group that can do both.

As you know trying to find someone who can do both has been the problem in
my never ending quest for a trombone player.
Larry