[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Cruise ship gigs for Bands :))

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 18:47:29 PST 2006

Thanks, Tom.  It was interesting to me to read the invite for show  band
auditions for cruise ships.  Have done maybe 8 - 9 cruises in recent  years, and 5
on Holland American.  Generally these "kids" are quite  impressive in the
versatility of the music they play during the length of the  cruise in a variety
of capacities.  It must be a great experience musically  and socially, etc.
for them.  But one early evening I was torn between  my amusement, and my
motherly desire to call 911 for them and get them some  mentoring.  The daily
program had advertised Dixieland Quartet in one of  the rooms during one of the
cocktail hours.  So hubby and seated ourselves  at that spot.  Bless them, they
were trying to hard to be hot and they just  did not know how to make it happen.
 They were sticking to standards such  as Bill Bailey and they might get off
to a good start, but next thing you know  the keyboardist would be boppin',
the reed player looking flummoxed and just  blowing any ol' note to keep the
sound going, etc.  So while I would be  amazed if a DL band got hired, a
Dixieland coach for them during rehearsals and  before departure--I have been told
these occur prior to sailing in Las Vegas and  such places--would be a really
good hire on the part of Stiletto or whomever is  putting the competencies
together.
Ginny