[Dixielandjazz] Early Elkhart Invitees

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Thu Nov 23 07:54:08 PST 2006

I just happened to check the Elkhart Jazz Festival web site, and as of
October 20, they have already invited several groups.  Here is the list so
far.

Bill Allred's Classic Jazz Band (a big local favorite)
BED (Dan Barrett's group)
The Shelly Berg Trio (who have become staples of the festival)
The Four Freshmen (in their most recent incarnation)
The Frank & Joe Show (Frank Vignola and Joe Ascione)
Paul Keller Quartet (apparently a group from Michigan)
Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band (whom I personally can't wait to hear)

Orquesta de Jazz y Salsa Alto Maiz (an excellent salsa band from Iowa of all
places)
Rob Parton's Big Band (a personal favorite since Rob is an alumnus of
Northern Illinois University)
Wally's Warehouse Waifs (one of many Dixieland groups that seem to flourish
in Michigan)

The festival in 2007 will be from June 22-24.  For fans who can make it for
the weekend, I think it's a great bargain.  Patron passes are still only
$175 for the entire weekend, and that includes a reception on Friday and
brunch on Sunday.  A weekend pass is just $105.  Not bad for about twenty
hours of jazz on seven stages.

Hal Vickery