[Dixielandjazz] Megaphones

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 10:14:27 PST 2006

Tom Wiggins posted about the California Highway Department "Megaphones"
which reminded me of a funny story.

In the late 1950s I was gigging with Kenny Butterfield's Beale Street
Stompers at the Melody Lounge in Sunnyside NY. The Melody was a rough place,
young people audience and some who were fighters. There was a fight there
about every other week.

One of the tougher guys had just been released from jail. A nice, but real
Dead End Kid. He loved the band and would buy us drinks etc. Fought often in
the bar there. Big guy, always dressed like a bricklayer just coming in from
work.

One night, he came in and asked to sit in. We were afraid to refuse and said
sure. He had a suitcase with him that could have been a Tenor case. He
proceeded slowly onto the stand and made a production of slowly opening the
case. Then he took out a large traffic cone. Beautiful orange color with
NYPD stenciled on the side. Held it up, to his lips and proceeded to sing
loudly (really a guttural hum) through it on Bill Bailey which he had
requested. Tore the place up and got a standing O for his "solo".

He never cracked a smile, slowly put it back in the case when done and left
the stand to a cheering crowd. Then bought us all a drink to thank us.

It was a very funny scene.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone