[Dixielandjazz] Where to Get Megaphones

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Fri Nov 17 07:49:05 PST 2006

Listmates,

Megaphones can be obtained from sporting goods stores that deal in high school and college sports equipment and apparel. You can get them in several sizes and many colors. They are made of hard plastic and are quite durable.

I have been using one in my Banjo Barons Ragtime Band for 15+ years. I purchased a large size, and had a local sign shop put my logo and band name on it. We put it on the band stand, name side out toward the audience, when we are not using it. You can see a photo of my megaphone at my website, Banjo Barons Ragtime Band section. Click on photo No. 5 -- Lake Geneva Dinner Cruise.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I acquired one for Jim Kash in Spain, had his band name put on and shipped it to him. From what I understand, it's working out quite well as a novelty item.

Don't expect humongous gains in volume for the singer. It does project the sound straight forward a bit louder than normal, but the real gain is the change in tone to a sound somewhat like the early 20th century recordings. Plus, the visual effect gets everyone in the audience buzzing.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz