[Dixielandjazz] quality

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 12 10:15:08 PST 2006

Scott wrote:
Some people can tell the difference between the higher quality sound of a CD
and the lower quality of MP3s, but I sure can't. Must be my ears have been
ruined........

Scott, the nuances one might hear in comparing these different formats are
just not that great.  I'm not saying your friend can't hear the difference,
but most people will not be able to listen to one, then the other, and say
which is better.

In a proper listening environment, such as a recording studio, one can mute
one channel, then the other (while both are playing the same recording in
time with each other), and then it would most likely become evident...but,
only to some.

It's just not that great.  Loss of "top & bottom", but no big thing
considering how most people listen to their music (cars, small computer
speakers, tv, etc.).

Any reference to sound quality between the different formats should be down
to the fact that those that record audio would like it to be "saved" in the
best quality format possible.  Then, whatever the listener does is out of
ones hands.

Jim