[Dixielandjazz] The desert island iPod and great sheet music titles

Audrey Van Dyke audrey at callitmusic.com
Sat Nov 11 23:21:44 PST 2006

I got an iPod a few months ago, and it probably brings me more pleasure
than any new innovation since the personal computer. It's pure fun.  All
that music that at one time or another I consciously chose to bring home
on CDs, listened to several times, and then carefully filed away on a
shelf  is now stuffed inside this one tiny box.  With no effort on my
part, (after the initial loading) it will chug its way through all 7,500
tunes.  I used to daydream about having a CD player that I could put all
my CD's into, but envisioned a huge bulky thing that would consume half
the space in my small apartment; even at its best, the daydream didn't
extend to such a CD player that could be picked up and carried in a
pants pocket.  So the iPod is truly my ideal listening device brought to
life.   But that's still all it is - a listening device, not some moral
imperative.  The music surely (don't call me Shirley!)  is the constant,
that hey, King Oliver's music is something special, whatever our
preference for getting it to our ears.  Pity the poor, forlorn 8-track!

But as one of our local bandleaders, Marty Frankel of the Federal Jazz
Commission has mentioned, it takes the fun out of an old game.  Now that
he has loaded all his favorites onto an iPod Marty has pointed out that
he can't play the desert island game anymore.  Every song he could ever
want on his desert island is on a device smaller than a single record.
Desert island iPods, anyone?

Anybody want the sheet music to a fine old turn of the century song
titled "Cows may Come and Cows may Go but the Bull Goes on Forever?"  Or
"I Could Love you in a Steam-Heat Flat?"  Or a great love song from the
20's : "Nobody Can Love me Like My Old Tomato Can." Perhaps if gas
prices rise again, "The Oklahoma Oil Field Blues" might appeal.  Send me
your address and the music is yours.  (The person from Australia who
asked for the copy of Davenport Blues - I shipped it off surface mail
along with a few other  things, so you'll be getting it eventually.)

Audrey Van Dyke