[Dixielandjazz] The Boilermakeres - Successful by defying the "can't be done" dogma.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 10 07:05:49 PST 2006

OKOM as a viable way to make a living? Conventional wisdom is that "It Can't
Be Done." Bull****.

Here's what's going on in the Eastern USA with the Boilermaker Jazz Band.
Remember them? A decade ago, they used to play for us old folks, trying to
make a living on the OKOM circuit. Some so-called OKOM record reviewers were
unkind to them because they sounded very much like the 1950's George Lewis
Bands. Perhaps (yes IMO) unfairly rated because they had a great sound in
that genre and their N.O. rhythm was wonderfully danceable.

They didn't get mad, they got even. Re-invented themselves, found a young
audience and never looked back. Living well is indeed the best revenge.
Especially since those "reviewers" are virtually out of business these days.

They are a HUGE favorite with LARGE GROUPS of YOUNG swing dancers and their
organizations all over the USA.

Hey, if you festival promoters are courting swing dancers, maybe you should
hire the Boilermakers? They might just bring a bunch to your party, besides
playing some great OKOM.

Note also how well they promote via sound bites, downloads, etc.

Way to go, Paul.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Fantastic Dances with the Boilermaker Jazz Band in November!!
Friday, Nov. 10
Lakewood Masonic Hall
15300 Detroit Ave.,
Lakewood, OH (Cleveland)
9pm- 12am
www.gethepswing.com

Saturday, Nov. 11
92 Sreet "Y"
92nd and Lexington, New York City
8:30pm- 12am
www.swingdanceswing.com

Friday, Nov. 17
Glen Echo Bumper Car Pavillion
Glen Echo, MD (Washington DC)
9pm- 12am
Lesson with Donna and Mike 8pm
www.glenechopark.org

Saturday, Nov. 18
Houston Hall
3417 Spruce Street,
U of Penn, Philadelphia, PA
9pm- 12am
www.uptownswing.org

Sunday, Nov. 19
Pitt Stop Lindy Hop!
Bulgarian Hall
449 West 8th Ave., Homestead, Pittsburgh, PA
8pm- 11pm
www.pittstoplindyhop.com

Saturday, Nov. 25
Valencia Ballroom
142 North George St.,
York, PA
9pm- 12am
Call 717-767-1194 or email ppproductions4u at cs.com for more info!

AND we will be back at the Valencia for New Years Eve!! www.yorkswing.com
<http://www.yorkswing.com/>

Grab a couple of our CD's at any of our shows- start your holiday shopping
early! You can also order securely on line at www.cdbaby.com
<http://www.cdbaby.com/>  keyword Boilermaker, or download tunes at all
major sites including Napster, iTunes, and Amazon.

Call us now for your special event- let us set just the right mood with
music. The Boilermaker Jazz Band is available in many different combinations
to fit any needs and budget. We'd love to play for your wedding reception,
corporate event, family party, community festival, concert, dance etc. Dates
are filling up fast for 2007- call us now!!

Paul Cosentino
Boilermaker Jazz Band
(412) 361-6610
www.boilermakerjazzband.com <http://www.boilermakerjazzband.com/>