[Dixielandjazz] mp3, CD etc. and DAT

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:38:13 PST 2006

Hi all,

Marty Nichols wrote (regarding DAT tape):

>   I use a portable DAT to record my band. The cartridges
>   are not readily available. I was told that there is a product
>   sold at many common outlets, e.g., Walmart etc. that will
>   substitute for DAT tape. I have'nt found it and wonder if
>   anyone can tip me off on it?

Now I may be all wrong on this but . . .

It seems to me that a DAT tape is simply a medium for storing digital
information. Today's recording tools for the studio involve highly
sophisticated computer programs and prodigious storage capacity for digital
information.

Is it not the case that the sound from a performance in a modern recording
studio goes directly into the computer in digital form where it is
manipulated and stored from the recording to the production of files ready
to put on CDs as wav files or simply stored as mp3 files ready to be
transmitted either directly over the internet or via any medium that stores
digital information (compact discs, etc.)?

However, there is the problem of such technology being made compact and
portable so that recording in the field is feasible and I have zero idea of
what exists currently to deal with this issue.

I would think that DAT is rapidly becoming obsolete.

On the other hand, I may be wrong. But one thing I am sure of is that
technology in this area (as in all areas of handling information) is
changing so rapidly that it's difficult to keep up with what's happening
now! And gawd knows where we're bound (computer wise) in the area of
Artificial Intelligence and what seems (to me, at least) to be the distinct
possibility that computers will become more intelligent than human beings in
the not to distant future!!  What are the implications of that!! Maybe Lt.
Commander Data of Star Fleet Command is not such a distant concept after
all.

I'm sure Kash has some more knowledgeable information on this matter of
recording music along with others who are far more experienced in this than
I.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I even think CDs are obsolete" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com