[Dixielandjazz] Advertising Redux

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 20:40:08 PST 2006

Right on, Ginny; Darn, if you can sell banjo gigs, you can sell OKOM Band
gigs. :-) VBG

One idea is to get an August 4, 2007 gig. That's a Saturday and is Louis
Armstrong's Birthday. Get a public park concert or something similar. The
press release the hell out of your local media about how the "Symphonic Six"
is doing a concert to honor the memory of the top jazz man of the 20th
century on his 106th Anniversary, Louis Armstrong, the man who codified
"America's" Music. That's how the Bix Festival in Davenport started. A
simple press release that The Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake Society
Jazz Band was coming 1000 miles to play at Bix's gravesite on his birthday.
Several thousand people showed up, and they also played at the hotel where
they were staying. Packed the place. The rest is history.

Dave Brubeck & his wife sent direct mail promos to colleges before Brubeck
became popular. On their own, from their kitchen table. Followed up with
phone calls. Got 9 college concerts the first year. Then,  Joe Glaser
(Armstrong's agent) "discovered" Brubeck and become Dave's agent. The rest
is history. Jazz Goes To College

All it takes is an idea, a little confidence and some follow up.

One way to avoid "gifting" is to send the releases & photos to the editor,
rather than the music writer. But even so, there's nothing wrong  with
buying a drink for the writer/photographer if they cover you live. I've been
on TV 5 times in the last 6 years, and in the newspapers about 15 times with
photos. Haven't gifted anyone yet, though I did buy drinks for a beautiful
female reporter and her photographer at a brew pub one night.

As Ginny says, look for the human interest "hook". Barbone Street's first
hook was the "oldest jazz band in the Philadelphia area". (average age).
Another hook was when I moved from my big farm to my retirement farm 30
miles away. Got publicity photos working a gig, as well as with my wife,
dogs and horses at my new digs, in my new hometown paper, etc. Another hook?
Jonathan Russell.  Hire him and send out those press releases. He should be
playing a jazz festival every week, for big bucks because he is "IMAGE".
(and also happens to play a wonderful "jazz" violin.)

Lots of hooks out there for you. And being this kind of hooker is a lot of
fun.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone