[Dixielandjazz] Advertising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 7 13:39:15 PST 2006

I have worked for guys in the remote past that did that but I was never
thrilled with it.  When I first came to St. Louis I was part of the cattle
call and got gigs from guys that were booking multiple bands.  Sometimes it
worked but I was never comfortable with it.  I know if you hire carefully
the right people you won't have any problems but the performances tend to be
ho hum.  The old joke about introducing the band and they all shake hands
with each other is true. I worked for a guy that had the Carpenter's hall
sewed up.  He booked the five halls plus the pub downstairs so he had six
bands on the weekend going.  He was a fair sax player and he would orbit to
the halls and play a tune or two and then off to another hall.  About 10
o'clock he would collect his checks or usually cash and then go around and
pay off the hall manager and a few other people.  He laid cash on the guys
that allowed him to keep his bands in there.  At least he made several
personal appearances during the night and M.C.'d the cake cutting and things
like that.  Personally I think that while it made a few guys a lot of money
it damaged and continues to damage the music business here.  Having said all
that It's not a terrible idea either.  With the people I know now I could do
it but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

We used to do that with the wedding couples but you can burn up a lot of
time doing that and while I wouldn't turn down a wedding if it was right you
earn your money doing them.  Have you ever heard the term Bridezilla?  How
about wedding planner?  Both can be an absolute pain in the ass.  We had a
wedding planner stand there and rifle through our books and call tunes one
night.  The leader finally asked her if she didn't have something to plan
somewhere else.  Then ignored her.  The wedding planner then went to the
bride and ratted on him who pitched a fit.  I was so happy that I wasn't the
leader that night.
Larry
St. Louis
The most dangerous city in the country.  Caution Bridezilla crossing.