[Dixielandjazz] Advertising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 7 11:04:23 PST 2006

Two big problems with advertising in general.  First the leader cut isn't
all that much but even if it was leaders do a whole lot of extra work for
that money.  Secondly at least here, advertising costs an arm an a leg.

I had this very cool idea.  I would run an ad in the daily paper in the
Obituary section.  They have various ads for funeral homes and florists.  My
reasoning was: older people read the obits often and send flowers.  What
better place for a band that can do funerals and play music that this group
really likes.  A stroke of Genius......until I found out what it cost.  The
rate was $15 a day and no you couldn't pick and choose days.  You had to
take ads for every day except Sunday.  The weekend papers cost more.  There
were no discounts if you took less than 6 months and no I couldn't do it
anyway because bands were in another section.  I would have to book a pretty
good job at least every two weeks above my booking rate now to pay for that.
Getting more jobs might be a justification to raise prices to cover it but
you start losing some because of that too.  The idea is to make money not
lose it.

The big problem with newspaper advertising besides cost is that young people
just don't read newspapers and TV ads are out of the question.

IMHO Yellow page advertising is worthless most of the time.  I would be
interested in knowing if any members of the list use Yellow pages and do
they feel it's worth it and why.  I found that I got a lot of calls from
other bands pricing me and people looking for the cheapest band and very few
hit pay dirt.

After that just where would you suggest advertising that is affordable?

The thing that makes bands different from building materials or any other
"thing" and most services is that there is only one of you to sell for a
particular night.  The four Saturdays after Lent are almost always booked
with weddings as is a couple of other times a year.  Since there is only one
of you how do you optimize your advertising?  You can run a sale on shoes
and sell a thousand pairs and if you run out issue rain checks but a band
has just themselves.  One shot per night.   That makes advertising in effect
much less cost effective.  An owner of a DJ service can have multiple setups
and hire DJ's as needed.

I find most advertising to be not that effective anyway.  The best turnover
we ever got was by putting flyer packets on cars at the wedding shows after
they priced us out but the DJ's didn't like that and wanted to fight us and
went around taking them off the windshields as we put them back.  We even
got chased once.  A very interesting time.  We actually got more calls doing
that than playing for the bridal fashion shows and paying the venue.  That
was a lot of wear and tear.  We started doing it as a group and three or
four of us tended to keep them inside.  We did that for three years at about
a dozen bridal shows.

You can be in the bridal shows but they cost about $1500+ here for a booth
and they don't let you perform or play music only hand out cards or CD's.
They do give you a mailing list and at 39 cents plus printing costs you can
get into a couple of hundred dollars real fast.  We would typically book two
to four weddings from each show.  The trouble was that so many would get
married on about the same dates like the month after Lent.  We have a large
Catholic population and they don't marry during Lent which almost kills the
wedding band business for that month and a half.  Then everyone wants to get
married on the same days.  The other side of the sword is that everyone gets
engaged at Christmas and if you aren't playing someplace public in January
or at the Bridal shows it's difficult to book jobs.

Some of you in your music business are fortunate to have a steady clientele.
I don't advertise at all in my sign business and I have more work than I
want.

I would really be interested in any suggestions that anyone has about
advertising and success stories that they have had or do you find it
difficult to advertise.

The best thing that has come along seems to be the internet but how has
anyone optimized that to be an effective tool?  How do you get people to
visit your web site?

I follow the six foot rule of sales....everyone within six feet of me knows
that I am a musician and band leader.  I actually made a contact last night
for an anniversary party in the web design class that I took to develop my
web site.  Word of mouth, mostly mine, seems to work fairly good but I would
like to be more effective AND at the same time take more money home.
Larry Walton
St. Louis