[Dixielandjazz] American Song Book

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 09:07:48 PST 2006

I don't know whether this will post correctly to the DJML, but if not, go to wikipedia.com and search American Songbook....  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  Jump to: navigation, search
  The Great American Songbook is an informal term referring to a period of American popular music songwriting that took place between the 1930s and 1960s.
  Songwriters considered part of this group include:

   Harold Arlen ("Somewhere Over the Rainbow", "Stormy Weather")
   Irving Berlin ("White Christmas", "Always", "Blue Skies")
   Hoagy Carmichael ("Stardust", "Georgia On My Mind", "The Nearness Of You")
   Duke Ellington ("In A Sentimental Mood", "It Don’t Mean A Thing", "Satin Doll", "Mood Indigo", "Sophisticated Lady")
   George and Ira Gershwin ("Someone to Watch Over Me", "S’Wonderful", "Summertime")
   Jerome Kern ("Ol' Man River", "The Way You Look Tonight", "All The Things You Are", "The Song is You", "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes")
   Henry Mancini ("Moon River", "Days Of Wine And Roses")
   Johnny Mandel ("The Shadow of Your Smile")
   Johnny Mercer ("One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)")
   Cole Porter ("Night and Day", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "Begin The Beguine")
   Rodgers and Hammerstein ("Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'", "Shall We Dance?", "The Sound of Music")
   Rodgers and Hart ("Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered", "My Romance", "Have You Met Miss Jones", "My Funny Valentine")
  Most of these songs are written in verse-chorus form, with a 32-bar chorus most often in AABA or ABAB form. Characteristically they feature strong melodies, thoughtful lyrics incorporating sophisticated rhymes, and a skillful thematic connection between music and words.
  Many of these songs were written for Broadway or motion picture musicals. Often the verses of the songs refer explicitly to the plots of these works, but usually the songs themselves refer to more timeless situations (typically, the vicissitudes of love). This greater generality made it easier for songs to be added or subtracted from a show, or revived in a different show.
  Since the 1930's, many singers and musicians have explicitly recorded or performed large parts of the Great American Songbook, to the extent that interpreting material from the Songbook forms a large part of jazz music today.
  Ella Fitzgerald's popular and influential Sings the ... Songbook series on Verve in the 1950s and 60's collated 252 songs from the Songbook. Amongst jazz singers, the influential interpreters of the Great American Songbook have included Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand (particularly in her earlier work), Sammy Davis, Jr., Sarah Vaughan, Peggy Lee, Carmen McRae, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Blossom Dearie, Cleo Laine, and Mel Torme.
  From the 1980s on, there has been a revival of the Songbook with Andrea Marcovicci, Michael Feinstein, John Pizzarelli, and Michael Bublé among the most noted interpreters. John Stevens, a 2004 American Idol contestant, also gave exposure to this trend. Established singers in other genres have also had success in treating the Songbook, including Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Bette Midler, Barry Manilow, Queen Latifah, Joni Mitchell, Boz Scaggs, Robbie Williams, and especially Rod Stewart.

  [edit] See also
   Classic pop
   Jazz standards
   Tin Pan Alley

  Kay in Gilroy

Russ Guarino <russg at redshift.com> wrote:
  I'm not familiar with the "American Song Book" Is this a gig book or a commonly
known list of tunes?

Russ Guarino