[Dixielandjazz] Whose Fault? + Wedding Market

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 6 07:23:09 PST 2006

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snips)

> I think you should add the musicians themselves although it would come under
> what killed live music.

Careful now :-) VBG.

> In the wedding trade the high end client is still there but the great middle
> and low end is almost gone to the DJ's.  Funny thing, most of them cost more
> than a band and they can afford mega bucks for advertising and full page ads
> in the yellow pages which we just can't.

Interesting point. I think it goes to the DJs because the bands/contractors
have left those live venues where the prospective bride and groom go. The
kids see a DJ and not a band and so they hire the DJ. Lack of advertising or
band marketing also contributes.

I find that our wedding gigs 10+ per year, come from live performances in
venues where those few who actually do get married these days, go. I also
find that we end up turning down the low end weddings that pay $100 per man
for 4 hours. Basically because we can earn more, and don't wish to tie up,
Saturday dates for that paltry sum.

Mid range weddings are still relatively plentiful. ($2100-$3000) as are high
end, but at the higher end, folks want Big Bands and Singers. Since we do
Jazz weddings only, we do not accept the other stuff.

Typical wedding inquiry below, from one who had not heard us but her friends
had and recommended she call us. (received a year ago)

----

Dear Mr. Barbone,

"I am writing to ask if your jazz band plays at weddings.  If so, what kind
of jazz do you play?  I must admit that I don't know much about jazz, but I
do like West Coast jazz (Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, etc.).  I am not having
dancing at my wedding reception, but I would like to have music.  Therefore,
I am looking for a jazz band that will play West Coast jazz which will set a
lush and romantic mood as our guests eat and spend time together.  My
wedding will be on June 2, 2007.  Please let me know if you are even
available on that date.  Finally, how much do you charge for playing for
about 4-5 hours?"

"I look forward to hearing from you."

----

We actually did this one, last Feb, as a quintet, American Songbook, 5
hours, $500 a man. Played soft, romantic jazz, love songs, adding some
Dixieland. Bride and attendees loved our "West Coast Jazz" sound. Now, nine
months later, they still write to tell us that guests are still talking
about how great the music was.

Like I posted previously, most of the folks in the USA have no idea what
jazz is, whether the music is good or not, and what the various styles are.
And so I post this, not to brag, but to remove any doubts competent jazz
bands may have about supplying music for a wedding.

HINT: In your website, add a sentence at the top of your schedule page about
your band being the best wedding band in the St Louis area. Soon, your
website will automatically come up when someone googles for "Wedding Bands +
St Louis" and you will start getting calls for weddings.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone