[Dixielandjazz] More about "Lily of the Valley" than you everwanted to read

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 5 16:23:20 PST 2006

Definitely for dedicated DJMLers only.
Many of you will want to hit the delete key - now.
Just kidding folks.

Dear Ingemar,
By a process of elimination I am sure that we can resolve the mystery of who
composed the hymn "Lily Of The Valley" introduced to the jazz lexicon by
Paul Barbarin, and played by New Orleans [revivalist] jazz bands ever since.
Certainly, with Dick Baker's fine contribution and your own recent in-depth
research we know a lot more.
Herewith then additional information (based on your last email) in the quest
for the origin/composer of "Lily Of The Valley" also known as "He's The Lily
Of The Valley".
 You said: > Prince´s Band made the first recording of a song called Lily of
the Valley in July 1917, Columbia A2327 "Lily Of The Valley Jazz One-Step".
This is the Friedland / Gilbert song.<
**My files give only "Lily Of The Valley" as the title. Rust [American Dance
Band Discography] and confirmed by my mate, DJMLer Anton Crouch, from the
Columbia Discography set of books adds: Intro: Pollyanna Jazz (Lee). I
suggest that the 'Jazz One Step' included by you in the title is on the
label as the guide, as was common at the time, to distinguish the type of
music, ie: Fox-Trot, Waltz, etc.
So far as I can find, the composer credit on the label for Col A2327 by
Prince's Band is (Friedland) but, according to Anton, it is given in the
master files as Gilbert-Friedland.
This is obviously not the tune we are investigating, although I would like
to hear it, plus the 1950 Jimmy Dorsey rendition already discussed.
**There is a "Lily of The Valley", recorded in mid 1917, by Collins and
Harlan [duet with orch] on Brunswick 5105 (a vertical cut recording). The
Brunswick Discography (Ross Laird) credits the composer as (Wolf Gilbert)
although Ross, in this work, does not provide the actual information shown
on the record label.
In the Columbia Discography (courtesy of Anton Crouch) there is also a
reference to "Lily of The Valley" on Columbia A2296 by Collins and Harlan (8
June 1917). They obviously recorded it twice at the time, for both Brunswick
and Columbia.
My files show the composer credit on Columbia A2296 as (Friedland). Anton
advises that the master file gives Gilbert-Friedland.
Therefore we can also eliminate these versions.
  > There is a spiritual "He's the lily of the valley, Oh! my Lord . . .
King Jesus in the chariot rides..." which was published in "Jubilee Songs"
1872. It was recorded by Texas Jubilee Singers (with Arizona Dranes!) in
1928.
**My files, supported by Anton's Columbia Discography, indicate that there
is no label or file composer credit shown for Col 14445. This is a vocal
group with piano accompaniment and has been reissued on a Document CD (DOCD
5186 Arizona Dranes). I do not have this CD, as I have already have most of
her recorded material on LP. However, Anton has the CD and will provide an
MP3 of it later today, or tomorrow.
  > The very first Salvation Army band master Charles Fry wrote another song
with the lyrics  "I have found a friend in Jesus, He's everything to me,
He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul...  He's the Lily of the Valley,
the Bright and Morning Star, He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul."
The tune is "Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane" by William Shakespeare Hays
(sic!).  The first (?) recording was made by John McGhee and Frank Welling
in 1928 on Vocalion 5251.
**Vocalion 5251 was actually issued as by JL McGee and Frank Welling. I have
been unable to establish if there is a composer credit shown on the label.
  >(I have not been able to trace the Superior-2700 by E. Hanks, mentioned
in your [Dick's] reply!)<
**Superior 2700 was recorded at the Gennett studios in about August 1930 by
The Mitchell Family Trio. Composer credit on the label is given to (E Hanks)
and the log sheet mentions Frank Welling, according to the listing by George
Kay in my copy of Jazz Record No. 41. My Kay provides a misspelling of
"Lilly", which I assume may be on the label.
Now to muddy the waters! Anton has provided information on "Lily Of The
Valley" by Jack Pickell [accomp. by Forest Taylor, piano] on Columbia
15603-D recorded in Atlanta on 21 April 1926. The composer is given as
(Hanks) in the Columbia Discography index, but as (Hawks) in the body of the
work. Probably a typo.
  > The Barbarin tune from 1951 probaly originates from a song with the
verse "Everybody Ought to  Know ( 3x) Who Jesus Is". The chorus is almost
the same as the Fry song:  "He's the Lily of the Valley, He´s the Bright and
Morning Star, He's the fairest of ten thousand, Everybody Ought to Know".
The origin of the first strain is not known, but the melody of the chorus is
the same as "What A Friend We Have In Jesus"... Rev. F.W. McGee recorded
"Everybody Don´t Know Who Jesus Is" in 1930, only one chorus of the first
strain. I guess that Barbarin had heard this version. The verse is slightly
different from Everybody Ought To Know" - in fact it´s almost the same as "O
Happy Day". The chorus is also a little different from "What a Friend..."
(The reverends McGee, Rice et al often changed/simplified the melodies!)
*Rev FW McGee's (real name: Ford Washington McGee) "Everybody  Don´t Know
Who Jesus Is" on Victor V 38596 15 April 1930 and has been reissued on
Document BDCD 6032, which I do not have in my extensive collection of
Document CDs. Anton may have it. The Rev McGee was a one-time associate of
Arizona Dranes.
  > Barbarin´s version seems to be the only one played by traditional jazz
bands. The remaining question is: Who wrote "Everybody Ought To Know Who
Jesus Is"??
**I can't locate any recordings of "Everybody Ought To Know Who Jesus Is"
but the following links (but without composer credits) provide recent MP3
examples of this hymn:
  www.preciouslordtakemyhand.com/
and
  www.jesus-is-savior.com/Miscellaneous/heart_warming_melodies.htm
A quick listen seems to indicate that this is the 'Barbarin' source tune,
but I will leave that to your more expert ear.
I also found a reference to "Everybody Ought To Know Who Jesus Is" at
http://www.layliturgy.com/AHS/AHS_hyml_idx/A/AHS_Action_3.htm
giving a composer credit (and a 1950 date) to Harry Dixon Loes.
A quick Google for Mr Loes (1892-1965) provides details of his hymn/gospel
'fake' books. One of these includes "Lily Of The Valley" by Charles W. Fry
and William S. Hays.
Other "Lily Of The Valley" records which may be worth searching for are:
Golden Gate Jubilee Quartet on Thesaurus 1158 (16" radio transcription) from
June-August 1943. It is not among those reissued on Document.
Spartanburg Famous Four (6 June 1938) on Decca 7543 as "Lily of The Valley
(I Want You To Move)" which is on Document DOCD 5445.
My files do not have the composer credits for either of these.

That should keep you going for quite a while.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.