[Dixielandjazz] Musician's union

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Nov 3 23:45:46 PST 2006

I joined the Sacramento Musician's Union Local 12 in 1958 while I was still
in high-school as I was working two to three nights a week then.  I belonged
for some 37 years.  I kept my membership up in Sacramento,  even while
living 17 years in Los Angeles and belonging to Local 47 there.

When I moved back to Sacramento, I found that practically no one belonged
any more.  The dues went up to about $200 a year plus 2% or maybe 3% work
dues and for that we got NOTHING.  I mean, NOTHING.  So, reluctantly I
resigned.

As with Larry's case, while making a living playing music, I always worked
for above scale.  But at least, years ago the union had some clout.  Now it
has nothing.

I have been out of the musician's union now for about 11 years, which means
I have saved myself at least $1200 in dues, not counting (so-called) work
dues.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

>From "Hollywood Squares"
 Q. Do female frogs croak?
A. Paul Lynde: "If you hold their little heads under water long enough."