[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: MP3s or CDs or vinyl?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 5 10:26:52 PST 2006

In fact, if a radio personality in Chicago who is very much into technology
is to be believed, audio tape is no longer being manufactured, at least in
the U.S.
Hal

Hal, worldwide, Dat tape is still being used in live on-site film recording
for both dialogue & effects.  Although some are indulging in direct to hard
disk recordings.  I know, I sell the tapes & rent the recorders!  Hi8
digital tape is also being used for 8 track recording in film work, but less
& less now.

It's true that you would have to go a long way to find a 2 inch reel of 24
or 48 multitrack track tape today.

I prefer to record a live band to Hi8 (you can link machines together if
more than 8 tracks are needed), solely for the fact that you then have a
hunk of tape you can hold in your hand, and not numbers floating
disjointedly on a hard disk.  That tape becomes your safety copy of the live
recordings, and can be digitally dumped onto hard disk for editing & mixing.
But, you've always got that hard copy on tape!

You can get a drop out on a tape (a note or two), but you can lose the whole
recording on a glitchy hard disk. I always keep a DAT tape of any CD I have
Mastered, although the plants tend to want a CD Master now rather than the
tape.  Call me old fashioned, but I still like to have that tape in storage!

And, as far as a record player....I just bought a new one for work when
people send me their LP's in hopes of getting a good CD Master.  The player
(Technics S1200) & a diamond stylus (from a specialty house in the U.K.) set
me back about $1,200.  I'm counting on LP's being around & the need to
reissue onto CD or DVD with that expense.

I don't think it has to be MP3s or CDs or vinyl?  I may be and, and, and,
rather than or, or.

Jim