[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland - An Underground Music Style

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 4 19:38:46 PST 2006

Hello List mates:

Well, it looks like we're part of a flourishing underground musical style.
Below snipped from the MP3.com website, sub genre Dixieland. Scott likes
Dixieland and first became hooked upon seeing/hearing it in the Danny Kaye
Movie about Red Nichols and the Five Pennies.

Lots of MP3 Dixieland available. Even the George Shearing album with a
Dixieland Band, that includes my hero, Kenny Davern.

Go to http://www.emusic.com/album/10600/10600876.html

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Because the Dixieland revival (one could say fad) of the 1950s was
eventually overrun by amateurs, corny trappings (such as straw hats and
suspenders), and cliches, many musicians playing in that idiom grew to
dislike the term and wanted it changed to "traditional" or "classic". But
rather than blame the term or the style, it seems more justifiable to
separate the professionals from the poor imitators. . . Almost any song can
be played as Dixieland . . .Despite its decline in popularity since the
1950s, Dixieland, (along with the related classic jazz and New Orleans Jazz
idioms) continues to flourish as an underground music style."

-by Scott Yanow -