[Dixielandjazz] Who Wants a Tuxedo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 3 00:40:01 PST 2006

Dear Bob - and DJMLers,
The GK penguin/tuxedo joke reminds me that (so far as I can recall) no one
has mentioned that fine recent film 'A Prairie Home Companion', and the fact
that it includes our taciturn listmate Butch Thompson.
Many, many years ago, when our national Australian broadcaster (equivalent
to the UK's BBC) ran the 'APHC" radio programs, we tuned in just to listen
to Butch's regular contributions.
Therefore, in anticipation, I looked for him in the film, but must have
blinked when he was on camera.
A fleeting figure carrying a clarinet, wandering about off-stage, is seen on
several occasions.
Our Butch?
However, he can be heard in The Guys All Star Shoe Band, including the piece
"A Bunch of Guys". And is given a mention in the film's credits.
For those who have not yet seen 'APHC" you will not be disappointed.
A wonderful, if slightly bizarre, 'feel-good' musical.
Kind regards,
Bill.