[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill Centenary band

brian at radiojazz.co.uk brian at radiojazz.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 04:33:55 PST 2006

 I have just returned from Vienna (Austria) and a very pleasant several
evenings listening to the Wild Bill Davison Legacy band who are on tour
celebrating Bill's Centenary. The band featured Tom Saunders on cornet, Bill
Aldred - trombone, Allan Vaché - clarinet, Mike Gotz - piano, Isla
Eckinger - bass and Bernard Flegler - drums. All played brilliantly with
Aldred in particular in rollicking form.
The gigs in the very fine, long-established "Jazzland" club (see their
website www.jazzland.at) were very well attended and received on all three
nights with amiable proprietor Axel Melhardt saying that he was very
pleased.
Following the Jazzland gig the band travelled to Switzerland where they were
due to make a live concert recording for the label of pianist Mike Gotz.
It was great to meet and chat with the band and I'm now looking forward to
broadcasting tracks by them and their individual bands on my radio shows at
the Hot Jazz Channel -  www.radiojazz.co.uk
By the way - the central Vienna hotel Karntnerhof (email =
karntnerhof at netway.at) offers special rates to enthusiasts visiting the city
for the jazz and their staff are super-helpful with advice, directions etc.
We stayed there as did the band.
Following Vienna we travelled to Budapest where we discovered a fine jazz
violinist - Geza Zsigmond.
Brian Harvey