[Dixielandjazz] Political Thought vs. Musical Artistry

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 31 19:01:07 PDT 2006

Michael Janski michaeljanski at hotmail.com wrote
----------------------

On May 31, 2006 4:15:34 PM EDT Steve Barbone wrote:

>>". . . they've defeated their original narrow minded fan base who deserted
>>them . . . because they didn't like their politics."

>So, you are implying that anyone who does not agree with them politically is
>"narrow-minded" - one shant make a decision not to support someone's
>artistry just because of their political stance. You aren't really saying
>that, are you?  Isn't that, in itself, a narrow-minded viewpoint?

No, I am not saying that. People who do not agree with them politically do
not agree with them politically period. And fans have the right to support
whomever they please. But . . . fans who let the political view override
their appreciation of the music are "narrow minded". And the Chicks, like
Barbone Street says directly to those fans, "That's OK, don't listen to us."
That is the beauty of being secure in one's "artistry". Not captive to
political correctness or not, in terms of how it affects sales.

>I haven't the right to stop supporting films by Streisand, Baldwin and their
>ilk, simply because they promised to leave and then didn't? Oh my, should I
>peek through the draperies to see if the thought police are poised to
>pounce?

As I said above, You, as a fan, have the right to do what ever you please.
Likewise, the artist has the right to not care what you do and to keep doing
what they please. That is the beauty of the Chicks, they went out and got a
new audience, even using some "Dixieland" along the way according to one
collegiate reviewer. Plus most of their original fan base may well still be
there for them. It is only the "narrow minded" among them who left.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone