[Dixielandjazz] Dixie Chicks

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 31 09:57:12 PDT 2006

"John Farrell" <stridepiano at tesco.net>

> Mr. Barbone said this about the Dixie Chicks :
>
> "They are far from stupid and in fact, more intelligent than most people on
> the planet."
>
> How on earth did he arrive at that absurd conclusion?

Gosh, even the Philistines ought to be able to figure that out John. Suggest
you check their biographies. Had you asked me directly instead of in a snide
third person manner, I would have offered proof, but then I think you have
already made my point.

Regarding what the Dixie Chicks said, here is what President Bush answered
in an interview with Tom Brokaw shortly after their comments:

"The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want
to say...They shouldn't have their feelings hurt just because some people
don't want to buy their records when they speak out...Freedom is a two-way
street...I...don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what
I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood
stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about
America."

Regarding their "gigicide" as others have opined; Their two most recent CDs
sold about 20 million copies. Their brand new release will, no doubt sell
more than 10 million. I fervently wish we OKOMers could enjoy that kind of
gigicide. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone