[Dixielandjazz] Philly Lindy Love Weekend - Contemporary Ivy League Dixieland

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 19:32:10 PDT 2006

Philly Lindy Love sponsors a 3 day Lindy Dance Festival at the University of
Pennsylvania, June 2 through June 4. Lindy Love is a nationwide group of
Swing Dancers who travel around the country to dance festivals, much like
Dixieland fans to Dixieland festivals, except that these folks come to dance
and participate in lessons and workshops.

Barbone Street is "the" band this Friday night, from 9 PM to Midnight at the
Arch Auditorium on Penn's campus. The public is also invited. You can come
watch, listen, or dance Friday night for $15. It is well worth it, believe
me. A real treat if you have a breath of life in you, to see these kids and
some a little older, dance to Dixieland.

We have a special trumpet player with us that night. Ralph (Reds) Clemson.
Who????? Well once upon a time, Ralph as a 17 year old, was the hottest
trumpet player in Philly, still studying trumpet at Mastbaum high school
which had a legendary music program. (Alumni in addition to Ralph include
Red Rodney, Buddy DeFranco, Joe Wilder, Leon Cohen, Ralph Shapey, John Palma
and John LaPorta - all destined to become top professional players) Ralph
had built quite a reputation from NYC to Wash DC while still there.

He came home from school one day in 1938 and his mom said, "Your friend
Benny called you." Ralph answered, "I have no friend named Benny, but took
the number and called back.

"Hello this is Ralph."

"Hello Ralph this is Benny Goodman."

"Nah, who is this really?"

"Benny Goodman... Reason I called is because Chris Griffin is in love, wants
to leave the band and I'll need a replacement. I heard you perform at the
school concert the other day and talked with your trumpet teacher. I'd like
you to join the band."

So Ralph holds his hand over the phone and says, "Mom, it's Benny Goodman
and he wants me to join the band. Can I go?"

Mom said "NO, ALL THOSE JAZZ MUSICIANS WANT TO DO IS DRINK, SMOKE AND CHASE
WOMEN AND YOU ARE ONLY 17. THEY ARE ALL BUMS."

Heck, that didn't sound too bad to him, but as a kid in those dqys, he dared
not leave home without his parents permission.

He went on to become a well respected studio musician here in Philly as well
as touring with several bands, presidential inaugurations, Lanin, free lance
jazz, etc., and managed to put 4 kids through college while his only gig was
as a performing musician. A real professional in every respect.

We work with him several times a year. He's close to 90, but still plays his
butt off and will be a fountain of knowledge to Philly Lindy Love attendees
because he was there when swing, swung. A contemporary of Frankie Manning
who popularized the Lindy at the Savoy.

Barbone Street at the University of Pennsylvania. Say, that's Ivy League
Jazz like a bunch of us, including the legendary Eddie Condon, played in the
1940's/1950s, except that what we do is contemporary, not past tense.

Maybe you can go home again:-) VBG.

More information? E mail or call me.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone