[Dixielandjazz] Musical mediocrity

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Thu May 25 13:41:41 PDT 2006

Elazar said :

"Shalom Jazz Fans,

Pat is no doubt correct. This means that the music, shows, food, or anything
else that may attract people to the place must also not be good enough to
divert their attention from gambling. Does that mean that mediocrity will
get the gig rather than quality?"

A friend of mine works for Muzak. When I told him that with only one
exception I have yet to hear any piped music in a supermarket which grabs my
attention he explained that the whole point of Muzak was to provide a plain
vanilla background which did not distract shoppers from making purchases.

The only place where I have encountered great background music is an
antiques mall a few miles away from me. Sometimes I visit it just to drink
coffee and pat my feet - and notice that I am never alone.

John Farrell