[Dixielandjazz] Monk

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon May 22 19:09:56 PDT 2006

In many ways, Monk's music has stronger OKOM ties than his fellow be-bop
musicians.  He was obviously heavily influenced by the stride pianists.
Also, Monk's music emphasizes melody.  I was rewatching the Burns jazz
series yesterday and Marsalis made a comment about how "logical" Monks music
is.  I agree entirely.  His compositions are completely logical in and of
themselves.  He was never just "blowing on changes."  His improv was always
related to the original melodies.  I've always thought that Monk's playing
has much more in common with Ellington's piano style than Bud Powell's.

All the best,
Rob McCallum