[Dixielandjazz] Re: Six And Seven-eights String band LP

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 19 20:58:25 PDT 2006

Dear Ate and Hans,
I have the 'Jepson' volume with that entry for the Six & Seven-Eighths
String Band Of New Orleans and the recording date of 20 March 1949 for the
two New Orleans Records' and Circle' 78s.
I suggest that when Jorgen Jepsen compiled this information in 1963-4 is was
assumed to be a single session. Hence his note that Folkways used different
takes for the repeated tune titles.
A later reliable source I have provides the June 1955 date for Folkways
FP671 and FA2671.
I see no reason why the band could not repeat the same tunes for a later
Folkways session. It seems that Ate has both versions of some tunes. Does
the recording sound seem the same for each?
Another note I have for the Folkways FA2671 LP says: Produced by Frederic
Ramsey.
Artist, Edmond Souchon.
Artist, Six and Seven-Eighths String Band.
Produced by Samuel Barclay Charters.
which (to me) implies that Folkways initiated the later record session.
Folkways Records was founded by Moses Asch and Marian Distler in 1948 and
became renowned for its release of of blues, folk and bluegrass recordings
by re-discovered performers from the 1920s and 1930s, as well as
contemporary performers.
There is a 2003 book 'Folkways Records: Moses Asch and His Encyclopedia of
Sound' by Anthony Olmsted, published by Routledge.
The contents page suggests that the book provides a detailed background to
the company's recording activities and may indicate when its first LPs were
produced and released in the early 1950s. At US$95 a copy I have not
bothered to buy the book.
I realise that more research is needed, but feel confident that 1955 is a
more likely date for the Folkways LP than 1949.
I thought that I had a copy of the LP, but can't find it. Maybe the LP notes
provide a hidden clue.
Or the LP label, as Folkways usually gave a copyright date for its material.
Kind regards,
Bill.