FW: [Dixielandjazz] Re: The "Jazz" Police

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu May 18 03:28:15 PDT 2006

Comments from Pat & Steve about folks saying "you're not playing it right"
come as a bit of a shock for a non-U.S. playing musician.  Looks like a bit
of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and the uninitiated "a blessing".  I
would say the only thing someone might notice (in Spain) is that Wonderful
World sounds a bit different than they know it, but the knowledge of our
music doesn't go much deeper.

This is a delightful situation, then, as we often see perplexed looks on
people's faces as we begin, and smiles as we progress, ending in joyful
jumping around at the end!  I don't know what I would do if I had to face
the problems expressed here by others.  One comment we often hear (aside
from "you play a great saxophone"!!....it's a trombone, but anyway....), is
"I don't understand Jazz, but am enjoying your band"!  Now, that could be
misconstrued, but is not really a nasty remark at all.  I always answer, by
saying "it's we who need to understand it, all you have to do is enjoy it,
so you're getting it right"!

Granted, we do not include too many obscure tunes, try to drop in a few
well-known ones (Caberet, Hello Dolly, WWW, Saints) & do make advances into
the Big Band & swing world of tunes.  However, that is to our liking, and
works well with the audiences we play for.

Only time we hear of any "policing comments" are second-hand that we hear
that some other bands have said about us.  May be that we work a lot & they
don't is the real cause for such comments!   :>

Jim